- 3 large Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 sheet puff pastry
Prepare Portabello Mushrooms:
- Remove the stems gently, so not to break the mushroom.
- Remove the gills carefully. You do not want the mushroom to break
Precook Portobello Mushrooms:
- Pre-heat a skillet add 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- Cook mushrooms face down for 3 minutes about
- Flip the mushroom over and repeat for 1 minutes or two
- Lay on fresh paper towels on a cookie sheet to drain.
For the Duxelles:
- 2 pints (1 1/2 pounds) white button mushrooms
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 teaspoons rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons Vegan cream cheese
- To make the Duxelles: Add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add butter and olive oil to a a skillet and set over medium heat. Add the shallot sauté for 2 minutes then add mushroom mixture and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and let it cool down. Then add 1 Tablespoons of vegan cream cheese. Mix well
- Take the puff pastry from the freezer the night before and place it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
- You want it still cold and firm to make it work well.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a small amount of flour on a hard surface (like your countertop), sprinkle to coat to avoid sticking.
- Roll the dough out slightly just enough to spread it a little .
- I suggest you do not cut it until you have your mushroom stuffed, so you can individualize the size.
Stuff Mushrooms and Wrap in Puff Pastry
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- take one mushroom at a time.
- Fill the center with the duxelles , packing it down with a spoon.
- Place mushroom on puff pastry and cut a square around the mushroom with about 2 inches of dough on each side
- Place the dough on top of the mushroom cap and pick it up, folding the dough around the bottom of the mushroom, securing it with each corner of the dough.
- Again, place your hand underneath the mushroom and gently flip onto a baking sheet, stuff side up.
- You could brush the top with plain soy milk .
- Sprinkle a little bit of kosher salt on top (optional)
- Bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 10 or less before serving.
- You could serve it with fingerling potatoes, brocolini, greens
Leave A Comment